What We Do
What we do
Settlement Orientation Services (SOS) provides settlement services to refugee claimants in BC and health promotion and case management services for refugee claimants, refugees and immigrants. SOS provides drop-in services as well as appointment based services.
The SOS Settlement Team provides first language support with all aspects of the refugee claim process as well as general settlement services for refugee claimants.
Settlement services in detail:
- Orientation and guidance through the refugee claim process.
- Assistance with filling out government forms such as refugee claim application forms, work permit applications, family sponsorship applications, BC Medical Services Plan applications, Income Assistance applications, Persons with Disabilities Assistance applications, and others.
- Support in applying for Legal Aid for the refugee claim process.
- Assistance in accessing and navigating the Canadian health care system.
- Cultural orientation and adjustment counselling.
- General settlement services such as support in finding housing, employment, enrolling in English classes, school enrollment and others.
- Connecting refugee claimants with local communities.
- Referrals to other community services as needed such as mental health services, housing providers, employment counseling services, and others.
Are you a refugee claimant and are looking for a service that is not listed here? Give SOS staff a call at 604 255 1881 and we will do our best to assist you.
Who we serve: Refugee claimants throughout their claim process up until they receive Permanent Residence.
Health Promotion & Case Management Services
The SOS Health Team provides first language orientations to the Canadian health systems and health promotion services as well as holistic case management support to individuals living with HIV.
Health team services in detail:
- Orientation to the Canadian Health Care system.
- Assistance with accessing health insurance coverage (IFHP and MSP).
- Provide case management support to refugees and newcomers living with HIV.
- Health Promotion services including the creation of a wellness plan and information on healthy living.
- Support in applying for BC Medical Services Plan, Income Assistance, Persons with Disabilities Assistance, and others.
Who we serve: Refugee claimants, refugees and recent immigrants.
Refugee Claimant Support Group: Getting Through It
Settlement Orientation Services (SOS) and VAST run a weekly psychosocial support group for refugee claimants who have their hearing coming up. Join us and learn how to navigate the refugee claim process and be better prepared for your hearing.
You will meet other refugee claimants and hear stories from those ahead of you in the process. SOS and VAST will answer your questions and make sure you are fully supported on the path to your refugee hearing.
The group takes place every Wednesday from 10am to 12pm at the SOS Office at 744 West Hastings Street, Vancouver. Call SOS at 604 255 1881 to register for the group or visit us at the office to register in person.
All languages welcome. Drinks and snacks provided.